MS Thorshavn was built in Denmark in 1940 and came to the Faroe Islands after World War II. Ever since it has been in the service of the Danish High Commissioner’s Office of the Faroes and has been used for passenger and hospital transport and some rescue missions as well.
When the ship was to be sold in 2012, a local fund in Tvøroyri saw this opportunity and bought the ship from the Danish government. The ship has since been used for different excursions and local events. MS Thorshavn can also offer trips to Stóra Dímun and other fishing and boat trips, as well as serving delicious soup on the trip.